Friday, June 1, 2012

                                                         Summer Blessings

Summer has arrived.

 DAY 1 of being HOME FOR THE SUMMER with my incredibly social 5-year-old and my sweet, yet continuously on-the-go 2-year-old!

First thought that came to mind was, "What in the world am I going to do to keep us all from going insane?"  We have been accustomed to busy schedules since this past Fall...school...waking up at a certain time and scrummaging to get out of the door.  Packing lunches, interrupted naps, playgrounds full of kids, paints and dancing....... While the kids were in school enjoying their social interactions, I'd grocery shop and tackle those hard-to-do errands...

It's funny how things change so quickly.  Hollister has only been going to Kindergarten for a little over 8 months.  I've been so adjusted to school being a part of our days, that I feel like we are going back in time.  

Just two days ago our family disconnected cable. HUGE CHANGE FOR ME.  That was something we've wanted to do for a long time now.  I finally DID IT.... I have to say I believe it was perfect timing.  When the kids start complaining about being bored....the easiest thing to do would be to turn on NICK JR.  They would get sucked in SO QUICKLY that I could get away with pretty much anything and they not notice.  This is NOW not an option.  

The morning started off with a nice 8 AM breakfast around the table.  Unlike school am breakfasts, this one was a bit more thought out and a whole lot less disorganized.  Play time followed.  The boys seemed to play fairly well together.  Hollister would ask to play Wii and Gideon would plead for me to turn on "Melmo"..... but I'd gently remind them that "we aren't watching TV right now." They would give me a little look and then run off embarking on some other adventure within our walls.  

They spent most of the morning playing while I tackled a few things around the house... However, around 11 I decided to give them a little project.  I took out some ziti noodles and a box of markers. What better to do with noodles than color them bright colors?  The boys sat at the kitchen table for a good 45 minutes really enjoying the fact that they had mad noodle decorating skills.  I sat beside them and worked on my own little craft project.  It was nice!  Just sitting a the table, working side by side with my little ones.  They would get really excited and show me a new color or design.  I realized how precious and special these times are.....how amazing they can be (both those times and my kiddos).  During the school year we had very little time to spend doing home projects.  Everything was very fast paced.  But, today, we were sitting, talking, coloring and laughing..... I felt so happy....as did they. After the noodles dried, we strung them with yarn and made necklaces.... Hollister seemed most proud of his.  


The rest of the day was fairly laid back.... Lunch around noon.  Quiet time followed shortly after.  I took that opportunity to do some cleaning and reading.  And, let's not forget the two most important things I do after putting the kids in quiet time: 1) Fix a cup of coffee...and 2) Light a candle!  I  usually feel worn out at this point in the day.  Today, I was feeling pretty good.  Possibly from not having to run from place to place.  


Later in the afternoon we had story time.  The boys crawled up on the couch beside me.  Such a sweet time.  I realized how much I enjoy spending time with them....reading to them....coloring with them.  I didn't realize how much I missed it.  


We had a great first day home.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was so thankful and blessed that we were all smiling and happy by the end of the day.  I feel like I now have a huge blessing that has been given to me..... a summer blessing.  A summer to spend with my two boys.  I know there will be those days I want to pull my hair out...where I'm begging for just FIVE MINUTES PLEASE....We all know those times where we run to the bathroom, shut the door and pretend to pee, when in reality we're just trying to catch our breath, sneak some chocolate and collect ourselves.  However, this summer my goal is to take advantage of the time spent with my two precious boys...and to never lose sight of how blessed I am to have the opportunity to spend all day with them.  I am one blessed mommy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment